Distance learning (April 13-24)
Leonardo Da Vinci was born in an Italian town called Vinci. He lived in a time period called the Renaissance, when everyone was interested in art. Even though Da Vinci was a great artist, he became famous for the other things he could do. He was a sculptor, a scientist, an inventor, an architect, a musician, and a mathematician. Da Vinci’s paintings were done in the realist style.
Realism is a type of art that tries to show things exactly as they appear in life. It began in the 18th century, but the greatest realist era was in the mid – 19th century. Most realists were from France, but there were some famous American painters who were realists too.
Surrealists’ paintings were generally based on dreams. Their paintings were filled with familiar objects which were painted to look strange or mysterious. They hoped their odd paintings would make people look at things in a different way and change the way they felt about things. Salvador Dalí was best known for the striking and bizarre imges in his surrealist works.
Լեոնարդո Դա Վինչին ծնվել է Վինչի անունով իտալական քաղաքում: Նա ապրել է մի ժամանակաշրջանում, որը կոչվում է Ռենեսանս և երբ բոլորը հետաքրքրված էին արվեստով: Չնայած որ Դա Վինչին հրաշալի նկարիչ էր, նա հայտնի դարձավ ուրիշ բաների համար: Նա քանդակագործ էր, գիտնական, ճարտարապետ, երաժիշտ և մաթեմատիկոս: Դա Վինչիի նկարները արվել են ռեալիստ ձևով:
Ռեալիզմը արվեստի տեսակ է, որը փորձում է ցույց տալ ամեն ինչ, ինչպես իրականում կա: Այն սկսվել է 18-րդ դարում, բայց ռեալիզմի լավագույն շրջանը 19-րդ դարի կեսերին էր: Ռեալիստների մեծ մասը Ֆրանսիայից էին, բայց կային նաև հայտնի ամերիկյան ռեալիստ նկարիչներ:
Սուռեալիստների նկարները սովորաբար հիմնված էին երազների վրա: Նրանց նկարներում կային ծանոթ առարկաներ, որոնք նկարված էին տարօրինակ ձևով: Նրանք մտածում էին, որ իրենց տարօրինակ նկարները մարդկանց կստիպեն աառարկաներին ուրիշ ձևով նայել և կփոխեն իրենց զգացմունքները դրանց նկատմամբ: Սալվադոր Դալին ճանաչված էր իր նկարներում տարօրինակ և տպավորիչ պատկերների համար:
1. «What time does the next bus leave?» he said. «I need to get to the station.»
1. He asked what time the next bus left because he needed to get to the station.
2. «Don’t go swimming in the lake,» she said. «The water is filthy.»
2. She warned them not to go swimming in the lake because the water was filthy.
3. «Let’s go shopping tomorrow,» she said. «The sales have started.»
3. She suggested going shopping the following day because the sales had started.
4. «Stand up,» the teacher said to the pupils. «The headmaster is coming.»
4. The teacher ordered the pupils to stand up because the headmaster was coming.
5. «Please don’t take my ring,» she said to him. «It was a present.»
5. She begged him not to take her ring be cause it had been a present.
6. «It’s very late, Martin,» his mother said. «Where have you been?»
6. His mother reminded him that it was very late and asked him where he had been.
7. «Shall I cook the dinner?» he said to her. «You look very tired.»
7. He offered to cook the dinner, adding that she looked very tired.
8. «Please stop making that noise!» she said to him. «I can’t concentrate.»
8. She asked him to stop making that noise, explaining that she couldn’t concentrate.
9. «Yes, I dropped your vase,» she said. «I was cleaning the shelf.»
9. She admitted dropping my vase as she was cleaning the shelf.
10. «Can I use the car, please?» she said. «I need to run some errands.»
10. She asked if she could use the car because she needed to run some errands.
11. «I’m sorry I’m late,» he said. «The car wouldn’t start.»
11. He apologized for being late, explaining that the car wouldn’t start.
12. «Why are you teasing your sister?» she asked him. «You know it makes her unhappy.»
12. She asked/wondered why he was teasing his sister, reminding him that it made her unhappy.
13. «Why won’t you come to the party?» he said to her. «Everyone would love to see you.»
13. He asked why she wouldn’t go to the party and added that everyone would love to see her.
14. «It was Rob who broke the window,» he said to her. «He was kicking the football.»
14. He accused Rob of breaking the window as he was kicking the football.
3. Match the word with the proper definition
altogether a. to behave in an ostentatious way to impress others
brag b. a face seen from the side
even out c. without paying attention
hold out for d. to tell about your own achievements
lame e. useless facts
marvel f. to insist on something
negligence g. to come into balance
profile h. carelessness
illiterate i. to be amazed
show off j. one who cannot read or write
absently k. to pull hard
squabble l. completely
stray m. to argue
trivia n. to get lost
yank o. stupid and boring
5.Read the dialogues and choose the most appropriate options to complete the dialogues.
Take this medicine for a week and you’ll start to feel better.
Are you sure? It’s the best on the market.
Yes I am. Can you please prescribe another one?
D) But I’ve used it before and it did not help at all.
How did you like the movie you saw last night?
I can’t say it was the best I’ve ever seen.
Certainly not. Do not waste your time.
E) Then you wouldn’t recommend it, would you?
What? You crashed the car again?
I’m sure it wasn’t. This is the third accident you have had this year.
You’re very angry now, dad. We had better talk about this later on.
C) But it wasn’t my fault. You’ve got to believe me.
Why do you think so?
Whenever we meet, she pretends not to see me.
I don’t thin k it’s because she hasn’t got over her anger. She’s having
a bad time at work nowadays.
A) It seems that Martha is still angry with me.
Are you kidding? We are in June.
So what? What’s wrong with June?
The right time to trim your roses is the beginning of winter, when they
lose their flowers.
D) Have you got any idea what the right time is to shorten rose plants?
6.Complete the sentences with the most appropriate options.
1. Even though the two parties appear united in negotiations, —-.
B) they weren’t able to agree on the subject
2. The moment I saw the sad face of my girl friend, —-.
C) I had decided to leave the house
D) I found out that something was wrong
3. You had better take your mobile phone with you —-.
C) because I will not be at home during the whole day
4. —- when they learned that the chairman would not be able to join the meeting.
E) They will have already discussed the most important subjects
5. —-, the Grammys are the highest rated.
E) Of the «big three» music awards shows